Sunday 4 September 2016

Back to School: Last minute advice

*From Google Images*

Surely I'm not the only one who has decided that a new school year is a fresh start.. New year, new me bla bla bla. Like most I want to stay organised, tidy and keep up to date with work, but actually making that happen is another story. I start back at Sixth Form tomorrow (hello early mornings .. *cries*) so to help you all with the mad rush to get things sorted and finishing - well starting - the summer work you told yourself you would complete back in July; I have written some of my tips and advice for going back to school.
 
Coming from months of relaxation, a bombardment of new school projects and homework is anyones worst nightmare. So beforehand my best advice would be to get your folders sorted - you literally don't understand how happy having a folder with nice neatly written dividers makes me.. hehe. At my school we get given a planner to write in any homework given, I'd suggest if you don't get one of these either buy a cheep diary or download one of those school work apps, personally I have never used one of these but I see a lot of people using them. In terms of tidiness at home I find it best to have a certain place to put all your school work, text books and folders, this way in a rush you know exactly where you put your work and don't need to find a dog to 'eat it' for you. In the past I have used a letter tray - I bought a pretty floral one of Dunelm a few years ago but you should be able to find one in any stationary shop. Instead I tend to put my work straight into my subject folder.
 
My next bit of advice is for exam year students. The though of a bunch of exams can be quite daunting, especially if your anything like me and have an awful memory. Your teachers probably tell you to revise early on, but don't let that scare you. If you can get into the habit of writing up notes neatly or creating mind maps then it will really help you in the long run.  Again this might not be the most thrilling idea, so instead I often take coloured pens and highlighters into lessons and attempt to colour code and highlight my notes as I go, therefore I have a base for revision later on. At the end of the day, the more notes, flashcards and brainstorms you have, the easier and more 'stress free' your exam season will feel. (I might to an revision advice post nearer the time?!) 
 
For anyone going into Sixth Form or collage (or if you just don't wear uniform anymore) don't worry too much about what your wearing. Literally one term in and you'll be wearing jeans and a t-shirt!! I remember last year I was worried about what type of clothes I needed and if I had enough but don't stress too much. Then again if fashion is your thing, embrace that; what better opportunity do you have to wear what you like (although my school do seem to have some silly clothing rules...). As well as this no more uniform is also a really good excuse to buy loads of clothes, that's how I justify buying new things haha. My one tip would to go for comfy outfits that fit with your school rules and formality. 
 
And last but not least, remember to have fun. Even if this means you work straight after school in order to have a relaxed evening. The best thing is to manage your time well and keep as up to date as you can so you are less stressed out and can still enjoy spending time with family and friends. I normally write to do lists and do work as its given... as you can tell I like to be organised!!!
 
Thanks for reading. As its September and getting nearer to Autumn (Yay!) please suggest some post ideas either in the comments or contact me on social media or by email. See you soon, best of luck for the new school year.
 
-Megan
 


No comments:

Post a Comment